Iconic Speculaas Cookies Recipe

Iconic Speculaas Cookies Recipe
Our Rating: 4/5

Happy National Cookie Day!  For this year's edition I decided to go with an "iconic" cookie.  The speculaas cookie is a classic (think the flavor of the little cookies you get on airplanes) and surprisingly easy to whip together.  It's a variety of spices that just add that little oomph to the cookie.


I just love the color the spices give to the dough.  The original recipe I used calls for rolling out the cookies with an embossed rolling pin, then cutting even cookies with a circle cookie cutter.  This did not work out well for me.  I fully blame the rolling pin I got, the pattern just wasn't very deep or visible once rolled which was a major bummer.



I switched it up and pulled out my classic cookie stamps from Nordic Ware to get a more prominent design.  Much better!



These cookies baked up beautifully and had a great crispness to them.  I packed them up with some other classics for a great little holiday treat box and they rounded out the flavor profiles nicely.


Did you bake anything for National Cookie Day this year?! Share your favorite recipes in the comments below.

Comments