My Great Gram’s Christmas Tree Cookies

This classic spritz recipe was passed down to me and I just love making it to bring back memories to the whole family.  The recipe I received was pretty rough, with very little actual instructions, so I've updated it a bit for you here to try to make it achievable for all!  For those classic spritz cookie shapes, you will need a good cookie press.  


Yield: 6 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per pan

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
red and green food coloring
holiday sprinkles

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add egg and almond extract and beat until well incorporated.
Add salt, flour, baking powder and desired coloring and mix until just combined. (Remove some of the dough before coloring if you would like multiple colors)
Press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet in desired shape.
Decorate with candies or sprinkles as desired.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until just firm. 
Cool for 3 minutes on pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. 

While my Gram's traditional shape was trees, I went for wreath shapes this year.  They pressed beautifully and I was so happy with how they came out.  I added some simple red, green and gold sprinkles to give them a little pizazz. 





They are small and bite size so perfect to round out a cookie platter or have a few with coffee or cocoa.  Easily one of my favorite spritz cookie recipes I've tried!  Do you have any favorite family cookie recipes that bring back memories?

 

Comments